Sunday, December 5, 2010

Gift Card Holders

I recently stumbled across a tutorial for fabric gift card holders and I gave it a try. I wasn't impressed with the way the tutorial made them, so I changed the measurements, added some interfacing, and changed the layout a but and got this....

Multiple gift cards fit in well also, so it could even be used after the holidays for a safe spot to hold all the gift cards you've received!!


I was so thrilled with how they turned out that I made over 30 of them to sell at my work this week!


Here's how to do it...

Materials:



  • two backing pieces of fabric that each measure 3.5" x 4.5" (these can be the same fabric or coordinating). I made some that were holiday themed, Chicago Bears themed, and also some from coordinating scraps I had lying around...the possibilities are endless!!


  • one pocket piece of fabric (coordinating the backing pieces) that measures 3.5" x 3.5"


  • one piece of fusible interfacing that measures 3.5" x 4.5"


  • one piece of fusible interfacing that measures 3.5" x 3.5"


  • coordinating thread


  • embellishments such as buttons, lace, rosettes, ric-rac etc.

What to do:




  • Iron the interfacing to one back piece and the pocket piece of fabric. I place the fabric pieces on the interfacing, iron and then cut them out.


  • Take the pocket piece and fold down 1/4" and sew a hem across.


  • Place the pocket piece on top of the back piece with the interfacing on the back. Lay the other back piece on top, right sides together. Pin and sew with a 1/8" seam allowance all the way up the two sides and across the top, leaving the bottom open. Clip the top corners.


  • Turn right side in and tuck the open end up 1/4". Sew around the entire rectangle with a 1/8" seam allowance.


  • Using hot glue, add your embellishment to the front of the pocket.


  • Stick a gift card inside and you've got yourself a cute lil gift!!

To make the rosette, I just cut a 10" x 3" length of fabric and fold it in half. I start at one end and twist the fabric and forming a circle. Once I'm done, I put a dot of hot glue on the back and attach it to where I want it and then add glue where needed to attach it securely. Pretty easy and pretty cute!!

No comments:

Post a Comment