Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Camera Strap Cover

I thought my camera strap needed some pizazz so I made a cover for it! I searched the web for some ideas and in the end I made my own version!

I cut 4 strips of black jersey knit - 2 1/2" wide by 24" long (the length of the strap plus 1/2). I placed two pieces of the jersey knit together and zigzag stitched all around it (to make it one piece). I did this to the other two pieces too. (I did it this way to give the strap cover some cushion without being bulky!)

I cut a piece of printed jersey knit that was 1.5 times longer than the strap length and 1 1/2" wide. I changed my stitch length on my machine to the longest it would go and sewed a straight line down the length of the fabric, without back stitching at the top & bottom (gathering stitch).

I pinned one end of the ruffle to the middle of one of the black pieces and gathered the ruffle evenly. I stitched again down the length of the ruffle, attaching the ruffle to the black piece.

Then I put the two black pieces together, right sides together, and stitched the long ends together. Turning this right-side out was slightly harder because the ruffle is on, but not horrible.

Then I put my camera strap through the cover and tucked in the ends to match the width of the strap hanging out. I stitched across the ends just to keep the cover from moving. These stitches can be removed to replace the strap cover or wash it!

I love that my strap is no longer black with yellow stripes!

No comments:

Post a Comment