Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl, what?!

I do not have an athletic bone in my body...never have and probably never will! So when my husband decided to take lil man to a friend's house to watch the game, I was relieved!! What to do with lil miss??! Make a dress, of course! I thought this would be a great time to try out my new pattern! I recently ordered the Amelia and Caroline dress patterns from Froglegs & Ponytails. I hadn't tried a pillowcase dress before this point because sometimes they can look really homemade. I have bought a couple from etsy.com that have been decent. I have seen many that just look cheap. I was searching etsy one day and stumbled upon Froglegs & Ponytails' shop and I really, really liked the construction of her pillowcase dresses! I like that she has you make bias tape from the fabric of your dress for the underarm seam. I like that there is a definite underarm cut-out. I like that she has you use your trim fabric for the neck-tie closure. I also love that she has an adult shirt version!!!


So on this Superbowl Sunday, I made the "Caroline" version. I used the Nuovo Dot fabric from this post {because I love it the more I look at it} and for my trim fabric, I used a cream eyelet fabric....LOVE!! I did not use the eyelet fabric for the tie closure, but a coordinating ribbon instead. I didn't think the eyelet was a good choice for the tie.



Here's the finished product....

I'm thinking about making these for my nieces for Easter. I think this will be lil miss's Easter dress for sure! I love how dainty it is! And if you've ever met my lil miss, dainty is not an adjective you'd use to describe her!! ;)



I made another dress yesterday, based off of a tutorial found on I am Momma - Hear Me Roar


Instead of using old t-shirt strips, I used coordinating jersey knit strips. I am pretty pleased with the outcome. If I were to do it again, I would make the strips even longer as they go down to give the dress a little more shape. {Lil miss can't do narrow!} I made each strip 1" longer than the one before it, but I think I'd do at least 1.5" or 2" next time. Over all, I like the dress!



I like that she can wear it this summer as a tank dress & can wear it now with a long-sleeved tee under it and leggings!!
By the way....Old Navy has their tanks on sale right now for $5!!! My friend and I went on Friday and stocked up! She has asked me to make 4 tank panel dresses for her daughter and I have tons of plans for the tanks I bought!!

No comments:

Post a Comment